Activist attacks accelerate in 2018 – are corporates prepared for the onslaught?
Shareholder activism has not only increased in volume and size between 2017 and 2018, the complexity of issues and speed by which activists gain support has overwhelmed many corporate executives, IR and legal teams. Activist objectives in new areas are being pursued more aggressively alongside the traditional governance areas. Activists are turning higher powered spotlights on M&A decisions and adding activist campaign defense to the already-challenging processes of due diligence and integration.
Activists leveraging fintech to drive faster campaign initiation, and using social media and digital marketing techniques to rally allied voting blocks to their cause, is further challenging corporates. It’s no wonder many CEO's and their teams are overwhelmed and outmaneuvered by today’s activists.
There are bright spots and we’ll discuss examples of what makes up today’s successful corporate responses. Our panelists will share their experiences and discuss the keys to building stronger, more effective, Activist Shareholder Management Programs.
Key issues addressed:
- Who are the new activists, what new changes are they advocating and which corporate segments will experience the greatest volume of activist attacks?
- How will corporates respond when activists rally other voting blocks around their causes using social media to accelerate dissent?
- How will CEO’s think like an activist, and turn a critical eye toward key strategic, financial and operational areas to prepare their best defense?
- Why do CEO’s that foster proactive communications and transparency with activists see fewer attacks long-term?
- What role will analytics, data sharing tools, and social media play in an effective activist shareholder management strategy?
Watch the replay and access the unique resources by filling out the form.→