Regulations for the Health Insurance industry are rapidly changing and paving the way for electronic distribution of mandated communications – that’s the good news. The bad news is getting your members to sign up for electronic communications is a struggle – one that even the largest plans have yet to overcome. The key to success is testing different tactics to find the right mix that increases opt-ins. While rewards and incentives are a huge driver of opt-in increases, be sure to check your state and federal regulations to ensure your offer is in compliance. Here are some smart tactics and examples that you can use to crack the code.
Offer Rewards and Incentives
- Offer a small monetary gift card for opting in to receive electronic communications – Example: $5 Starbucks Gift Card – “Thank You a Latte for Opting In”
- Host monthly drawings for larger prizes – Example: $500 Visa Gift Card or Travel Voucher
- “Pay It Forward” as a reward for registering – Example: Plant a tree for every sign-up
Showcase the Convenience
- Make sure your content highlights how documents are easily accessible online 24/7, regardless of the device, and available for immediate download.
- Show and tell plan members how the enhanced viewing capabilities with built-in search functionality make it easier to find exactly what they are looking for instead of skimming a 200-page book.
Make it Easy
- Add an electronic opt-in pop-up to your member portal with a one-click subscription.
- Let members choose which communications they are interested in receiving electronically or printed and provide the ability to easily update.
- Include a marketing piece in your annual enrollment packet with benefits and simple instructions on how to opt-in.
Get Employee Buy-In
- Encourage friendly competition between call center employees and brokers who can obtain the most opt-ins.
- Add opt-in goals to your call centers yearly evaluation.
The struggle doesn’t stop with obtaining the members' consent for electronic communications. Plans need to be able to effectively manage the members preference across the organization and ensure they are delivering user-friendly, engaging content without jeopardizing member satisfaction. Merrill Corporation’s integrated solution, Merrill Connect, can help you from opt-in through the delivery of your omni-channel communications. Contact us today to learn more.