On Thursday June 22nd, Merrill sponsored the 2017 ACG Holland Growth Awards. Attended by Senior Account Manager, Luuk Visschedijk and Regional Head of Sales Mike Hinchliffe. ACG Holland, the Dutch arm of the global organisation focused on driving middle-market growth, held its second annual Growth Awards Ceremony at the Heineken Experience in Amsterdam.
Mike Hinchliffe made a presentation on Brexit, Year One. Which included a recap of the Merrill Brexit survey results. Mike also presented the award for Deal of the Year to HPE Growth Capital, minority stake in Tiqets - Luuc Elzinga, CEO & Co-founder.
Survey results shared at ACG are as follows;
- Over 65% of survey respondents felt that the UK would be less likely to prosper if it left the EU. A similar proportion said that Britain would be less likely to attract overseas investment.
- 69% felt that uncertainty over the UK’s EU membership is likely to affect the current M&A markets.
- 67% said that investment decisions are being negatively affected.
- 64% said that UK business would be less attractive to overseas acquirers in the short term if Britain votes to leave the EU.
- 7% thought EU businesses would be less likely to acquire UK-based ones. 50% thought US ones would be less likely to acquire British ones
- 65% felt a vote would have negative long-term effects on M&A markets.
Market professionals believed if Britain left, uncertainty would persist until there is clarity on arrangements between the UK and EU. This could take several years, potentially negatively-affecting prices and time transactions.
The Growth Awards recognise the achievements of mid-market companies and their advisors in the Netherlands. Some 100 dealmakers attended the event which was presented by BNR radio presenter, Paul van Liempt.
Nominations for the awards were submitted by the ACG Holland members and the winners were selected by an independent panel represented by the event sponsors; Merrill Corporation, Valery Capital, Orange Clover, Atlas Tax and the event organisers.
Deal of the Year Award Winner - HPE Growth Capital minority stake in Tiqets - Luuc Elzinga, CEO & Co-founder
The overall theme in the Netherlands is fair optimism about the M&A industry. Merrill Corporation is already a strong brand in the region and has supported a number of Dutch transactions (including the Best PE exit award). The mid-market industry shows resilience and is the motor of the industry.
Overall the event was a great way to highlight the close collaboration and shared interests between Merrill Corporation among corporates, PE firms, start-ups, and other deal makers in the M&A industry, amidst a backdrop of excellent talks and networking.